Monday, October 11, 2010

Tea Dyed Star


Tea Dyed Star
Originally uploaded by The Crafty Gourmet
Such a pretty little piece, hand quilted, but with a story behind it. I almost tossed it, but kept it and finally was able to save it.

It all started with the markings I used for the quilting using a water soluble pen. When I finished all the quilting, I spritzed it and all the markings disappeared like magic. I was tickled, until it dried.

Unfortunately, the hand dyed fabric that I used for the backing got wet and ran all into the white. (I did prewash this fabric in the washing machine). Just the other day I decided to tea dye it and believe it or not, it either neutralized the previous dye or else just covered enough that it doesn't show. Not sure which, but I am happy with it . I filled the dish basin with about 2" of water and threw in 6 tea bags and stirred for a while and just dipped the piece in and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It really just softened the colors and made it look a bit older than what it is.  By the way, this size is 20 1/2 x 20 1/2. 

Word of caution. Be very careful when using hand dyed fabric.

No comments: