Monday, October 11, 2010
Tea Dyed Star
It all started with the markings I used for the quilting using a water soluble pen. When I finished all the quilting, I spritzed it and all the markings disappeared like magic. I was tickled, until it dried.
Unfortunately, the hand dyed fabric that I used for the backing got wet and ran all into the white. (I did prewash this fabric in the washing machine). Just the other day I decided to tea dye it and believe it or not, it either neutralized the previous dye or else just covered enough that it doesn't show. Not sure which, but I am happy with it . I filled the dish basin with about 2" of water and threw in 6 tea bags and stirred for a while and just dipped the piece in and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It really just softened the colors and made it look a bit older than what it is. By the way, this size is 20 1/2 x 20 1/2.
Word of caution. Be very careful when using hand dyed fabric.
Posted by Carolyn in Texas