Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Best Ever Filet Mignon

Oh My God, I think I have died and gone to heaven after eating this fantastic Filet that I made last night.  I have made it before, but this time I cooked it outside in a  round electric grill (Aroma) and it was absolutely delicious.  The way the recipe reads is fine, but it kind of smokes up the house a bit, so I thought I would try it outside.  Man, did it work. Don't get me wrong...made the way it is written is also excellent.  I wish I had taken a picture of it last night, but just didn't think of it.  I will the next time though. 

I buy my filets at Sam's Club.  I cooked two of them and tonight had sandwiches with peppers and onions added.  Don't forget the sauce.  Makes it extra special, believe me.  Don't have Jack Daniels in the house? I don't either, so I buy the nips and always have them on hand just for this occasion.  This sauce is also good on grilled salmon steaks.

Best Ever Filet Mignon

2 Filet Mignon 1-1 1/2" thick
Canola Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Montreal Steak Seasoning

------------------------SAUCE/GLAZE------------------------
3 tb Brown Sugar
1 Jigger Jack Daniels

Heat Oven to 450 degrees.

Coat both sides of filets with oil. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt and pepper and a touch of Montreal Steak Seasoning. Add a bit of oil to an oven safe pan (I use a Cast Iron Pan) and heat until good and hot. Sear steaks 3 minutes on each side, kind of moving steaks around in the oil a bit to keep them moist.

Put pan in oven and bake for 6-8 minutes for medium rare, 8-10 minutes to medium and 10 to 12 minutes for well done. Times vary with size of steaks and ovens.

If you don't have an oven safe pan, have a small cookie sheet heated in the oven and ready for you to put the steaks on to continue cooking.

SAUCE....Take the steaks out of the pan and cover with foil to keep warm. Quickly add a bit of water to deglaze. Mix the brown sugar and bourbon together and add to pan, stirring and cooking until it looks good
to you.

Plate the steaks and pour the sauce over and enjoy.

From the kitchen of Carolyn the crafty gourmet, crafty jamie, 2/23/09.

No comments: